![]() |
Somalia's
president Hassan Sheikh Mohamud speaks during a Reuters interview in Mogadishu.
Reuters/Feisal Omar
|
Somali
President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said on Friday he had tested positive for
COVID-19 and was in self-isolation.
Mohamud's
spokesperson, Abdikarim Ali Kaar, reported that the president arrived back in
Somalia on Friday after visiting the United Arab Emirates.
On
June 22, a video from the meeting between the president of Somalia and Sheikh
Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan of the UAE was posted on the official president of
Somalia's Twitter account. In the UAE, he also encountered Somalis.
"My
fellow citizens, I would like to inform you that today I tested positive for
COVID-19. So far, I have no symptoms but I will continue to self-isolate and
serve the people of #Somalia from home," he said on his Twitter account.
Reutersreported that Somalia has so far registered 26,748 COVID-19 cases and 1,361
deaths, according to a tally from its health ministry.
Mohamud
took office in May after winning the presidential vote for the second time,
having previously served from 2012 to 2017.

0 Comments